weheartCHARICE

Welcome to weheartCHARICE. If you haven't already, we cordially invite you to register and join in on our discussions! Thanks!

Charice Fan Site and Forum

CHARICE just completed:      The 2012 TOFA-NY Awards - Carnegie Hall, New York (10/27/12)           and            Charice Infinity Tour 2012 - Honolulu, Hawaii (11/03/12)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on April 7th 2012, 3:25 pm

clothes_w

Admin
Cheesa Laureta follows her dream in ‘The Voice’
SATURDAY, 07 APRIL 2012 00:00

When Filipino-American Cheesa Laureta moved six years ago from Hawaii to LA to follow her dream and be a singer, she never imagined she would make it this far—competing with the strongest vocalists from across America and making it to the final rounds of The Voice.

Belonging to Team Cee Lo Green, Cheesa initially thought she wouldn’t even make it in the first round. In that blind audition round, Cheesa sang Beyonce’s If I Were a Boy.

In a blog on the NBC The Voice website, Cheese admitted, “I totally choked in the beginning because I missed my cue. My initial thought was “Cheesa you baffoon! Now the coaches aren’t going to turn for you. All you can do now is kill it!” For the remainder of the song when I realized that no one had turned around, I automatically assumed that I was done for. Then 5 seconds before singing that last note, Cee Lo turns around!!! I didn’t even realize it ‘til I was done that he had turned around for me.”

Cee Lo Green turned his chair around just before Cheesa finished the song, putting her on his “Red Zone” team.

Cheesa revealed that she really wanted to be on Green’s team and says she feels grateful and blessed to be given the opportunity to work with him, whom she views as an amazing talent.

Aside from having been blessed with a powerful voice, Cheesa also has been gifted with a lot of faith. Tattooed on her left wrist is, “II Cor 5:7” - the bible verse that says, “For we walk by faith not by sight.” She also has another tattoo of “Believe” on her left rib.

“I just prayed for the best,” she said and her prayers were answered.

How ‘The Voice’ works

The show’s innovative format features three stages of competition: the blind audition, a battle phase, and finally, the live performance shows.

During the blind auditions, the decisions from the musician coaches are based solely on voice and not on looks. The coaches hear the artists perform, but they don’t get to see the artist - thanks to rotating chairs. If a coach is impressed by the artist’s voice, he/she pushes a button to select the artist for his/her team. At this point, the coach’s chair will swivel so that he/she can face the artist he/she has selected.

Once the teams are set, the battle is on. Coaches will dedicate themselves to developing their singers, giving them advice and sharing the secrets of their success. During the battle rounds, the coaches will pit two of their own team members against each other to sing the same song together in front of a studio audience.

After the vocal face-off, the coach must choose which of his/her singers will advance.

At the end of the battle episodes, only the strongest members of each coach’s roster remain and proceed to the live stage shows.

In this final performance phase of the competition, the top artists from each team will compete against each other during a live broadcast. The television audience will vote to save their favorite talent, leaving the coach to decide live who they want to save and who will not move on. In the end, each coach will have one star artist left ready to compete against the other teams’ finalists to be named The Voice. The winner will receive the grand prize of a recording contract.

Victorious battle round

With the help of Green and legendary singer/songwriter Babyface, Cheesa was able to come out victorious after her duet battle with Angie Johnson.

Cheesa performed Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart with Angie Johnson and Cee Lo picked her as the winner of the round.

“Battles are nerve-wracking!” Laureta said. “You’re in a team and have already built friendships with people and to think you have to compete and battle against your teammate is difficult.”

Cheesa was born and raised in Hawaii. Her dreams of a musical career began when she was four. Growing up in Hawaii she performed in a duet with her brother, singer/musician Troy Laureta, as A2C. Their final performance in Hawaii was in William Daquioag’s Young Pinoys: Showcase of Stars show at the Pearl City Cultural Center in August, 2006.

Then, they moved to Los Angeles.

“It was one of the biggest decisions that I’ve ever made in my life. My dad supported (our decision) but he didn’t really want us to go to the path of becoming a musician because it wasn’t a stable type of career, but it was what we wanted and we moved to LA,” said Cheesa.

She and Troy had auditioned for American Idol but weren’t selected. They made some recordings. They then both went out for The Voice last year but didn’t make it. This year, Troy pushed Cheesa to try again and she finally made it to the blind auditions.

Their father, Joseph, used to be a vocalist and guitarist back in Manila, and competed in local competitions.

Troy is a singer as well, and a musical director/keyboardist for artists such as Charice, Melanie Fiona and has worked with David Foster.

Talking about her success at The Voice, Cheesa says, “It took five years to get to this point. It’s been a struggle. It’s hard. It’s hard moving from Hawaii where a little bit of people know you (and) coming to LA where nobody knows you and you have to start all over (but) you work through it.” She expressed great appreciation and love for her parents who have sacrificed in order to help their children’s dreams come true.

Cheesa is now preparing for the third stage of the competition (live rounds) of The Voice, which began April 2 on NBC. Team Cee Lo Green will compete with the other teams of celebrity musician coaches Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton.

Cheesa will compete in the live rounds next week, April 9. America will vote to decide who moves on to the finals. During the show’s finale, four artists will perform for America’s votes and one will be crowned The Voice.

Proudly Filipino, Cheesa is counting on Hawaii and Fil-Ams elsewhere in America to support her.

Her brother Troy told Asian Journal, “Cheesa is so in love with Filipino culture. She can understand Tagalog and Cebuano, and she eats everything. She loves pinakbet, karekare and bagoong! She is very proud to be Filipino, and always told me that when she makes it, she would like break the barriers that hinder Filipinos from breaking into mainstream US. She wants to be a bridge from the Philippines to the States.”

(LA Weekend April 7-10, 2012 Sec B pg.1)

(www.asianjournal.com)

http://www.weheartcharice.com

2 Re: Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on April 10th 2012, 4:46 pm

clothes_w

Admin
Fil-Am Cheesa one of Top 24 in 'The Voice'
By Yong Chavez, ABS-CBN North America Bureau
Posted at 04/09/2012 3:02 PM | Updated as of 04/10/2012 1:32 AM

LOS ANGELES – It wasn't easy for Filipino-American singer Cheesa to get where she is now.

She has been trying her luck in Hollywood for six years, hoping someone would notice her talent.

Filipino-American singer Cheesa Laureta makes it to "The Voice" Top 24.

This year, her big break came.

She was chosen as one of the top 24 contestants on the popular reality singing competition "The Voice."

Her standout performance of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" got her the spot.

Cheesa started singing as a young girl and honed her craft through performances in many Filipino events.

“I’m so stoked. This is a great opportunity. I’m very grateful. I'm very blessed. You know, it's another chance for me to prove myself and to keep going, keep performing, keep singing," she said.

"I just hope that I can be an inspiration to other people that if you truly believe in yourself and truly believe in your talent, you can make it this far, even farther than this if you keep working really hard," she added.

Born and raised in Hawaii, Cheesa's parents are from Manila and Cebu.

Though Cheesa has not been getting as much media mileage as Filipino-Mexican-American singer Jessica Sanchez who is now part of “American Idol” Top 7, her Pinoy supporters are expected to increase when she performs Monday night (Tuesday morning in Manila) during the second live performance show.

The Pinay singer was handpicked by music superstar Cee Lo Green to be a part of his team on "The Voice.”

“I love Cee Lo, he's such a great guy. I respect Cee Lo's music, I respect him artistically and as a person so I would love to work with him more," she said.

Right now, Cheesa's biggest supporters are the fans of international star Charice, who have been campaigning for Cheesa on Twitter and other social media sites.

Troy Laureta, Cheesa's brother, is a friend and musical director of Charice.

"I love these Chasters. They're so supportive. They're really rooting for me and I'm really grateful," said Cheesa.

Voters can save a contestant by voting through phone, Facebook, NBC website and by downloading the contestant's song on iTunes.

Every week, the contestants with the lowest vote leave the competition until only four singers remain for the finale.

"The Voice” will hold its finale on May 8 but in order to advance, Cheesa is asking the Filipinos for their support and votes this week.

3 Re: Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on April 11th 2012, 7:57 am

clothes_w

Admin
Cee Lo saves Fil-Am Cheesa on 'The Voice'
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 04/11/2012 12:01 PM | Updated as of 04/11/2012 4:23 PM

Fil-Am contestant Cheesa Laureta

MANILA, Philippines – Filipino-American contestant Cheesa Laureta had to sing for her life on the US talent search “The Voice” on Tuesday night (Wednesday morning in Manila) before she was saved by her mentor Cee Lo Green from elimination.

Laureta found herself in the bottom three of Team Cee Lo after the live performance show the previous night, where she sang the disco classic “Don’t Leave Me This Way” and received lukewarm praise from the judges.

Laureta then had to sing for her life, along with fellow Team Cee Lo members Tony Vincent and Erin Martin.

On “The Voice,” the three contestants of a team who garnered the most votes automatically move to the next round. The bottom three contestants then are given one last chance to impress their mentor, who can only save one from elimination. The other two are sent home.

Vincent, who has starred in Broadway musicals like “American Idiot,” was up first with a rock version of “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)” by Eurythmics, while model Martin sang Elton John’s “Your Song.”

Laureta chose the Celine Dion version of Eric Carmen’s “All By Myself” for her last-chance performance and wowed all four judges.

Judges Blake Shelton and Christina Aguilera were impressed when Laureta hit the high note at the end of her number.

“You hit that completely out of the park,” Shelton said.

Judge Adam Levine, the lead vocalist of Maroon 5, admitted that he was “pissed off” that all three contestants waited for Wednesday’s sing-off to show what they are capable of.

“All three of you did an amazing job. I’ve finally seen all of you at your bests but it came a little late,” he said.

Shelton, Aguilera and Levine all agreed that Laureta deserved to be saved.

However, the decision on who should be saved on Team Cee Lo rests solely on Green – and he was certainly torn between Vincent and Laureta.

“My head says Tony but my heart says Cheesa,” he said before deciding to save Laureta.

Laureta now moves to the next round – the Top 16 – along with her team members Juliet Simms, James Massone and Jamar Rogers, who, as expected, were earlier saved by America’s votes.

For Team Adam, advancing to the next round are early favorite Tony Lucca, Mathai, Pip and Katrina Parker, who was saved by Levine from elimination.

And her last chance performance

4 Re: Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on April 17th 2012, 9:22 pm

clothes_w

Admin
If you're a fan of Cheesa Laureta, please Like her Facebook Fan Page:

https://www.facebook.com/CheesaOfficial

And follow her on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/cheesyfbaby

5 Re: Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on April 23rd 2012, 9:48 pm

clothes_w

Admin
Tonight's performance:

Cheesa Laureta - "I Have Nothing"

If you're a fan, vote for Cheesa at 1-866-856-8306, or Text 6 to 97979, or download her music on iTunes.

6 Re: Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on April 25th 2012, 4:01 pm

clothes_w

Admin
'The Voice' recap: So long, Cheesa and Mathai
April 25, 2012 | 4:30 am
Los Angeles Times

Now that the outrage after last week's eliminations has died down, everything proceeded pretty much as expected on "The Voice" this week. And what Tuesday night's elimination rounds lacked in surprise, they made up for with the comfort of knowing that the right people had been sent home and the best candidates tapped to move forward to duke it out in the semifinals.

After Florence and the Machine, backed by Team Cee Lo, had performed their song "No Light, No Light," the remaining members of Team Adam and Team Cee Lo gathered to learn their fates.

Carson Daly delivered the audience verdict with merciful swiftness. America's save is … the boys! The sole remaining guy on each team had been saved: Tony Lucca would advance from Adam Levine's team. Jamar Rogers would move forward from Cee Lo Green's crew.

That left Mathai and Katrina Parker to compete for Levine's save, and Cheesa and Juliet Simms to vie for Green's.

If you predicted that Parker would blow it out of the water and Mathai would turn in a sweet yet somehow disappointing performance, you were right. Mathai sang "Cowboy Cassanova" and didn't lack for charm, but did lack a certain power and urgency. The judges complimented her on her "aggression."

Then Parker came on -- looking lovely -- and showed off her lush, round, gently raspy tone on "Perfect." "I know Tony got the vote from America," Blake told Adam. "But Kristina is the best singer on your team." Christina said she agreed with Shelton "100%" and that, of all the singers on Levine's team, she was "most excited to hear original material sung by" Parker.

Levine then gave a long, meandering speech in which he praised both performers and then picked Parker to take through to the next round. It's OK, Mathai still called him "awesome" and thanked the show for showing her how much she wanted "to sing for the rest of my life."

As for Team Cee Lo, Cheesa, who Green over-praised as the "power singer" of our generation on Monday's show, stepped out with "Already Gone," but sadly, though she sang with passion, the pitch -- with the notable exception of one impressively big, belted note -- got away from her. The judges noticed Cheesa's pitch problem and said so. Things weren't looking good for Cheesa.

They looked even worse after Simms sang "Torn" with a restrained intensity that may have made it my favorite performance from her to date, though Aguilera said she preferred the rip-roaring style Simms had showed when she sang "Roxanne" earlier in the season. Shelton declared his love for Simms, admitting he'd come late to it, and said he'd pick Simms over Cheesa, mostly because "as a fan" he couldn't bear the thought of watching the show and not seeing Simms perform in future weeks.

Green required both women to "smile in the face of adversity" and then heaped on the praise before revealing his save selection. America's energy was "invested in" Simms, he said, so he was taking her to the next round. So long, Cheesa.

Looking back on it, it was a bad week for one-named contestants, what with Pip, Cheesa and Mathai all heading home, along with two-named auto mechanic James Massone.
Surveying all the teams, here's who remains heading into the semifinals:

Team Blake: Erin Willett, Jermaine Paul
Team Christina: Chris Mann, Lindsey Pavao
Team Cee Lo: Jamar Rogers, Juliet Simms
Team Adam: Tony Lucca, Katrina Parker

To view forum properly, please enable HTML by doing the following:

1. Go to "Profile" on your top menu
2. Click "Preferences"
3. Select "Yes" for Always allow HTML

7 Re: Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on April 26th 2012, 9:22 am

clothes_w

Admin
Fil-Am Cheesa wants to perform for Pinoy fans
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 04/26/2012 11:38 AM | Updated as of 04/26/2012 6:58 PM

Filipino-American Cheesa Laureta

MANILA, Philippines – After being eliminated from hit American talent search “The Voice,” Filipino-American Cheesa Laureta said she wants to perform in front of her Filipino fans.

“I would love to, you know, go back home and sing and tour the US and go back to the Philippines and give back as well,” Laureta told ABS-CBN News.

On Wednesday morning (Manila time), Laureta ended her journey on “The Voice” after getting the lowest percentage of votes. Her team coach, Cee Lo Green, chose to save contestant Juliet Simms over her.

Aside from Laureta, contestant Mathai from Team Adam was also eliminated from the show.

On Monday (Tuesday morning in Manila), Laureta wowed audience and judges with her powerful rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing."

2. Click "Preferences"

8 Re: Cheesa Laureta - 'The Voice' Season 2 on June 11th 2012, 7:20 am

clothes_w

Admin
Cheesa to arrive in Manila on Tuesday
By Yong Chavez, ABS-CBN North America News Bureau
Posted at 06/11/2012 3:43 PM | Updated as of 06/11/2012 6:27 PM

LOS ANGELES, California – After showcasing her talent as a powerhouse singer on "The Voice," Cheesa Laureta is excited to finally get to sing for fellow Filipinos back home.

Cheesa is scheduled to arrive in the Philippines on June 12, Manila time.

According to Cheesa, she does not know how to speak Filipino but she is excited to be with her relatives.

"Hindi ko marunong eh. I know a little bit but my mom is from Cebu so I mix both Visayan and Tagalog together so it'll be hard for people to understand me," she said.

Apart from performing engagements, Cheesa also wants to meet her loyal Filipino fans who supported her during the competition.

"It feels good to finally get recognized for your talent and to go back home. Especially from kababayans, for them to be so proud of you, it's both exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time," she said.

Cheesa's brother Troy, who's also the musical director of Charice, is coming with her.

Their mother is a Cebuana, while their dad grew up in Cebu.

As first-generation immigrants, the Lauretas experienced difficulties when they started their lives in the US. The sacrifices they had to make to support the dreams of Cheesa and Troy were shown in a video package on "The Voice."

Now that the siblings are finding success in their fields, they aim to give back to their parents.

When Cheesa returns to Los Angles after her Philippine trip, she will resume working on her album.

Among her biggest source of inspiration and support, she said, is Grammy-winning artist Cee Lo Green, her mentor and coach on "The Voice."

2. Click "Preferences"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum