weheartCHARICE
06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Vipird10

Welcome to weheartCHARICE. If you haven't already, we cordially invite you to register and join in on our discussions! Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

weheartCHARICE
06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Vipird10

Welcome to weheartCHARICE. If you haven't already, we cordially invite you to register and join in on our discussions! Thanks!
weheartCHARICE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charice Fan Site and Forum

CHARICE just completed:      The 2012 TOFA-NY Awards - Carnegie Hall, New York (10/27/12)           and            Charice Infinity Tour 2012 - Honolulu, Hawaii (11/03/12)

You are not connected. Please login or register

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://beta.dawn.com/news/1015775/philippine-pop-star-charice-says-shes-a-lesbian

Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian

Published @ 2013-06-03 10:33:15

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 51ac2ba674d9d
Filipina singer Charice Pempengco performing during the launching of her first album in Makati, financial district of Manila. —AFP (File) Photo

MANILA: Philippine pop star Charice has announced she is a lesbian, ending weeks of speculation in the local press following a drastic image change where she ditched her teen starlet look and adopted a more edgy style.

The 21-year-old star who initially found fame through YouTube and gained international recognition through appearances on the American show Glee, disclosed her sexual orientation to “The Buzz”, a local showbiz talkshow.

“Yes, I am a tomboy,” Charice said on Sunday, when asked if she was gay.

“Now, I feel free. I can go out of the house without fear and be certain that I'm not stepping on anybody's toes.”

“To those who can accept me, thank you very much,” she said tearfully.

In the interview Charice also said she was estranged from her mother, who raised her single-handedly and began her career by entering her in singing competitions when she was young.

Her revelation received positive feedback and expressions of support in the mainly Catholic, socially conservative country with many taking to social media to praise the diminutive singer.

“Dear @OfficialCharice have you any idea how many young people you inspired today? More power, blessings and love to you!,” tweeted Tony award-winning actress and singer Leah Salonga (@MsLeaSalonga), a fellow Filipina international star.

“So Charice is out of the closet. Did that take her talent away? Did it change her voice? NO. Same talented person, just happier,” added local celebrity Bubbles Paraiso (@bubblesparaiso) on the social media website.

Charice's decision to come out also received praise overseas. “So proud of you!” tweeted American celebrity blogger Perez Hilton. “You are opening doors and hearts and minds with your bravery and honesty! Leading by example! BIG HUG!”

Born Charice Pempengco, but more popularly known by her first name, the 21-year-old has a significant following both in the Philippines and the United States, appearing on major US television programmes such as the Ellen DeGeneres Show and the Oprah Winfrey Show, and playing the character Sunshine Corazon in Glee.

She has also toured internationally with award-winning American composer David Foster, and her first international studio album released in 2010 broke into the top 10 of the Billboard 200, in a first for any Asian solo singer. Charice has been in the spotlight in the local press lately after she dramatically revamped her image - from a long-haired girl singing love songs to a more masculine look complete with short, dyed hair.

Photos of her holding hands with an unidentified young woman had also circulated on local Internet fan sites.

Recognising that her decision to come out could upset some of her fans she said in the interview: “I am proud of who I am. I love myself, that is why I am doing this.”

“To my fans who I know are disappointed -- I know some of you will turn your back on me too - sorry. You know I am sincere. From the bottom of my heart, sorry.”

206/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Empty Same article on France24 June 3rd 2013, 3:54 am

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/s57/glee/news/a486514/glee-actress-charice-pempengco-comes-out-as-lesbian.html

'Glee' actress Charice Pempengco comes out as lesbian

Published Monday, Jun 3 2013, 03:50 BST | By Sarah Luoma

Charice Pempengco of Glee fame has come out as lesbian.

The Filipino-born singer shared the news in a June 2 interview with ABS-CBN's show The Buzz.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Ustv_charice
Charice Pempengco
06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Ustv_glee_s02_e22_5
Charice as Sunshine on 'Glee'

"Yes, I am a lesbian," Pempengco said during her interview with host Boy Abunda. "But to those who can accept me, thank you very much. We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight."

During the interview, Pempengco also spoke about becoming estranged from her family.

She later released a video thanking fans for all of their support, saying: "I just wanna say thank you, personally... to all the people supporting me, to all the people who are still there for me.

"Honestly, I'm very, very happy. I can't explain how happy I am right now hearing all [these] positive things."

Watch Charice Pempengco's 'thank you' video to fans below:

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.rickey.org/charice-comes-out-as-a-lesbian/

Charice comes out as a lesbian – Video

by Trey June 2, 20113 at 7:22 pm

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice-comes-out-as-a-lesbian-1-150x150

Former Glee star and Oprah-fronted Filipino singing sensation Charice has come out as a lesbian in an interview with national TV.

The young starlet, who broke out with the hit “Pyramid” a few years back, made the statement as she broke out in tears apologizing to fans and thanking supporters. Nothing to apologize for, Charice.

Wow. I didn’t even see this coming especially with the image change and all. Or maybe I was just out of the loop, clearly since her hair has been cut. Didn’t she just have a new single out not too long ago? I remember she had a new edgier look. But good for her! We are proud of you Charice for being yourself and serving as a role model.

Via: ONTD

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.autostraddle.com/charice-pempengco-is-gay-filipina-actress-and-singer-comes-out-178948/

Charice Is Gay: Filipina Actress and Singer Comes Out

Posted byriese
on June 3, 2013

Yup, Charmaine Clarice Relucio Pempengco, better known as Charice, came out yesterday on "The Buzz," a Filipino television show hosted by Boy Abunda, by asserting "Opo, tomboy po ako." Charice added that answering that question has enabled her to "feel free."
She had other feelings, too, sadder ones, because, as Boy pointed out (according to a translation of the interview) "in our culture this is not the normal and usual way and most of the time remains hidden so that the public and fans stay happy." So Charice also took time to apologize to her mother and brother and ask forgiveness of fans who feel "disappointed" by her coming out:
I chose to do it here because I owe it to the Filipino people. I felt that they should be the ones to know what I am and who I am. Yes, I’m a tomboy. I don’t know why that’s a problem? Because for me, it’s not a problem. Now I want to ask forgiveness to those who don’t understand, to those who can’t accept me. I’m sorry. I can understand. For those who will accept and can accept me, thank you very much. And for what I have done I just want to say that I feel that a heavy weight has been lifted from me now (tears up voice slightly breaks). That I can leave the house without hiding anything, nor putting anyone down because I’m not hiding anything. Sorry Mommy, Carl…but this is me. I’m proud of myself, I love myself. That is why I’ve done this. To my fans, I know a lot of you are disappointed, some of you will probably leave me. Sorry. You know I’m a sincere person. From the bottom of my heart, sorry. I understand.
Boy commended her, saying, "you chose to tell the truth because it was the right thing to do" and asking, "do you hope one day that you could work overseas in a world, in an industry, that won’t look at gender but talent?" Charice answered:
I believe that someday, it will come. It’s just difficult at the moment. I believe that someday, we will come out and work as equals. That’s why sometimes they say: Are you gay? (And I answer) what, are you straight? It’s all the same.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice-via-abs

According to our Special Chaster Correspondents on Facebook, the majority of the singer's young fanbase is supportive of Charice. Also, this is a big deal.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian ChariceCheesa
CHEESA TWEETED HER SUPPORT OF CHARICE TODAY

Charice said that her mother, Racquel, was still struggling to understand the situation. Racquel raised Charice on her own (Charice's father left the family when Charice was young, and was murdered in 2011), and as a kid Charice started entering television singing competitions to help support her family, eventually participating in nearly 100 contests. In 2005, she made it to the final rounds of Little Big Star, a talent show in the Philippines similar to American Idol, but her big debut actually came via YouTube about two years later when Dave Dueñas' posting of Charice's performance videos racked up over 15 million hits, making her an official Internet Sensation.

From there things basically took off — she made a demo with Ten Songs/Productions in Sweden, appeared on South Korean talent show Star King and eventually made her first trip to the United States in December 2007 to appear on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Her debut album, Charice, was released in May 2008 and would eventually go platinum in The Philippines. Oprah Winfrey featured Charice in her "World's Most Talented Kids" episode which led to Charice working with music producer David Foster, which led to her appearing on Hitman: David Foster and Friends, which became a thing on PBS, apparently, and also at some point Oprah called Charice "the most talented girl in the world."

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Ca85c909d9abb46ae1da481c7970238d

She released her second, 22-track album, My Inspiration, in May 2009, which included a duet with her Mom, which is adorable. The album went platinum in The Philippines and her first single debuted high on U.S. and Canadian Billboard charts. Her international debut album Charice, released May 2010, reached #8 on the Billboard charts and she popped up all over the U.S., like that time she was on Oprah with Justin Bieber and that time she played Sunshine Corazon in Season Two of Glee.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Sunshine-640x359

Meanwhile her star considered ascending in The Philippines and Asia, with extended tours and television appearances throughout 2011 and 2012.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Infinity-tour-381x640

In March 2012, when Charice got a new haircut and started dressing in a more boyish style, moderate press backlash ensued, but the press's relationship with Charice has always been complicated due to her international success. Also, despite a gay-friendly reputation, The Catholic Church's presence is strongly felt in The Philippines, which obvs influences how a lot of people feel about alternative lifestyle haircuts.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice-KCA-2012-640x628

Charice insisted, "I know some people think that this is very rebellious but it's not. It's just me evolving," likening her "edgy" and "rock" style to just being more Avril Lavigne or Rihanna than Selena Gomez. So there. Rumors swirled and according to our Chaster Fandom Correspondent, the Chaster fandom divided somewhat, often along generational lines, between those who were supportive of Charice regardless and those who dismissed the rumors.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice-is-super-cute
DO YOU WANT A TICKET, THE SHOW IS CALLED "I'M REALLY CUTE"

Which brings us to this week, when after a reclusive period, Charice sat down with The Buzz and told all. She also said that she's dated lots of girls, duh, but that she can't say who, and also hinted strongly that she's in a relationship with Alyssa Quijano of X-Factor Philippines. This would make them The Cutest Couple Of All Time.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Alyssa-424x640

There's been heaps of support for Charice on twitter. Cheesa, the singer with whom Claire recorded "I'm Not Perfect," tweeted her support today:

Yooooo I'm so proud of my girl @officialcharice for inspiring others to never be ashamed of themselves! #noh8 #antibullying #imnotperfect

— Cheesa (@CheesyFbaby) June 2, 2013

Lea Salonga tweeted her support as well:

Dear @officialcharice have you any idea how many young people you inspired today? More power, blessings and love to you!!!

— Lea Salonga (@MsLeaSalonga) June 2, 2013

There have been a lot of monumental comings out lately, but this one seems particularly huge. Our Special Chaster Fandom Correspondent pointed out that "the exact words [Charice] chose when she admitted that she's gay are "Tomboy ako." Here, "tomboy" is non-derogatory. Often, gay women who are in a way accepted are butch lesbians. Us femme lesbians, they see as bi or in a phase." She added that out lesbian celebrities are few and far between — there's Monique Wilson, who now lives in the US, and Aiza Seguerra, a child star who came out in 2007 and is now a singer-songwriter and actress. And now there's Charice!

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Aiza-seguerra
AIZA SEGUERRA

At the end of the interview, Boy asked Charice for the "most important lesson [she's] learned.":

Charice: To Mommy and Carl… I wish I were more open, more honest because the most important (thing) in the relationship between parents and their kids is to be open to one another, whatever the reaction of the other will be. To all young people my age, people undergoing the same thing – be true to yourself. We know in ourselves who we are. Life is too short to play games. Just be free.

Boy: Again, for your fans.

Charice: Chasters, this is it! New chapter. Welcome, welcome to my crazy life. Enjoy the ride.

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/473679/20130602/former-glee-star-charice-pempengco-admits-tv.htm

Former Glee Star Charice Pempengco Admits in TV Show That She is Lesbian

By Vittorio Hernandez | June 2, 2013 8:42 PM EST

Although she had a coming out party on May 10 to celebrate as well her 21st birthday, former Glee star Charice Pempengco never publicly admitted she is a lesbian, only hinting to her fans her gender preference via changing her haircut and clothes to masculine look.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 375464

On Sunday, Charice used the L word finally. "Opo, tomboy po ako (Yes, I am lesbian)" the singer of Pyramid told Boy Abunda, the host of ABS-CBN gossip show The Buzz. IBT Australia reported a month ago that Charice would likely publicly come out in The Buzz since Raquel hinted that her daughter is about to admit her gender preference, but the singer took a month before she finally outed herself.

She apologised to those who could not accept her sexual orientation, but in tears said after her The Buzz admission, she can now go out of the house without hiding anything from the public. She said sorry to her fans who could be disappointed with her decision to out publicly and whom she acknowledged could stop being her fans.

Her admission ends all speculations on Charice's gender preference, fueled by her drastic changes in her appearance which her mother, Raquel, and grandmother, Tess Relucio, opposed as well the public which earned the petite YouTube sensation criticisms.

She also admitted the she and Raquel are not on speaking terms and she has left their home in Laguna, belying Raquel's previous statement that all is well between mother and daughter, and confirming the disclosure by one of Charice's baptismal godfather and former neighbour Robert Ybera that all is not well between the two.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 375465

However, she said she is not angry at Robert for sharing the mother-daughter rift to the public because she respects him and acknowledges the help he has extended her during the start of her career, including teaching her how to drive a car.

But Charice took the occasion to make amends with her mother and young brother. "Sorry, Mommy, Carl, but this is the real me," she said.

She explained that it took her a month to admit her sexual identity for fear of what the public reaction would be, to think her next step. Charice said she decided to come clean after receiving some signs.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 375468

"I need to understand her, because if she hurt me I also have hurt her as a mother," she said of Raquel. However, she said they are trying to patch things up and credited Raquel for making efforts to accept her changes. Charice said she is hopeful that someday she would fully reconcile with her family.

She has left home and is living now in Cabuyao, Laguna, with a family whom she described as willing to take a bullet for her. She named them as Nanay Inah, Daddy George, and Kuya Glen, probably referring to her publicist Glen Aldueza.

She is often seen watching basketball in the town plaza, fueling speculations her career has floundered, which she belied. She hinted she has recording in the U.S. as well as TV shows, plus working on her third album.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 375469

"Those are choices I wanted, I knew were very risky, but because I want them. It is not because I am rebelling or I am depressed," Charice explained.

She admitted having relationships with females in the past, but did not directly admit if she has a relationship with Alyssa Quijano, an upcoming singer, whom she described as her inspiration. Charice and Alyssa met when they were much younger as competitors in singing contests.

They renewed their ties when Alyssa joined a singing competition in ABS-CBN where Charice was judge and mentor. Their constant companionship even fueled rumours that the two eloped.

Probed further, she told Abunda that he could open her heart, he would see it beating for her loved one, without naming directly the person.

"This is it. This is a new chapter. Welcome to my crazy life," she told her fans called Chasters.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 375471

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.inquisitr.com/684536/former-glee-star-charice-comes-out-yes-im-a-lesbian/

Former ‘Glee’ Star Charice Comes Out: ‘Yes, I’m A Lesbian’

06/03/2013

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice-Yes-Im-a-lesbian

Former Glee star Charice has officially put an end to speculation about her sexuality.

The Filipina singer told The Buzz host Boy Abunda, “Opo, tomboy po ako,” which means “Yes, I’m a lesbian” in Tagalog.

“Now I feel free,” she said. “I can go out of the house without fear and certain that I’m not stepping on anybody’s toe.”

The 21-year-old tearfully asked for forgiveness from those who might not be able to accept her sexuality.

“To those who can accept me, thank you very much,” she said. “We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight.”

She also reportedly had a “coming out” party for her 21st birthday, and thanked her fans for their support.

Charice had previously avoided answering questions about her sexual preference once rumors started spreading that she was gay when she started opting for a more “tomboyish” look, which she described as “edgy and rock.” She said it was her “evolving” and dismissed the transformation as a sort of a rebellion.

Charice, who was dubbed by Oprah as the “Most Talented Girl in the World,” released her first international studio album, Charice, in 2010. The album debuted on the Billboard 200 at #8, making Charice the first Asian solo singer ever to land in the top 10 on the chart. That same year, she made her debut in the second season of Glee as Sunshine Corazon, an exchange student from the Philippines and a rival to Rachel Berry (Lea Michele). Charice didn’t return for the third season, but said that working on the show was a “great experience.”

In March 2012, Charice signed on to be a judge and mentor for the Filipino version of The X Factor, which premiered on ABS-CBN in June. The second season will premiere in mid-2014, but it is unclear whether Charice will be returning, as she is hoping to continue pursuing a musical career in the US.

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/glee/383304-glee-star-charice-comes-out-as-lesbian

Glee Star Charice Comes Out As Lesbian

Sunshine actress thanks fans for support as she talks of family rift...

09:30, Monday, 3 June 2013

Glee star Charice Pempengco has come out as a lesbian.

The 21-year-old Filipina-born singer - who plays Sunshine Corazon in the hit TV show - decided to share the news in an interview with ABS-CBN's The Buzz.

She said: "Yes, I am a lesbian. But to those who can accept me, thank you very much. We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight."

Admitting that she had become estranged from her family, Charice later released a video thanking fans for their support.

In it she said: "I just wanna say thank you, personally... to all the people supporting me, to all the people who are still there for me.

"Honestly, I'm very, very happy. I can't explain how happy I am right now hearing all [these] positive things."

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.new-magazine.co.uk/latestnews/view/52021/Charice-Pempengco-is-gay/

Charice Pempengco is gay

Posted: Monday 3 Jun 2013

Filipino singer/actress CHARICE PEMPENGCO has 'come out' as gay.
The star, who shot to international fame with appearances on Glee and Oprah Winfrey's talk show, confirmed she is a lesbian in a TV interview with The Buzz, which aired in her native Philippines over the weekend (02Jun13).

Rumours about her sexual orientation have been swirling ever since the 21 year old debuted an edgier look and was photographed holding hands with another woman.

After her big reveal, Pempengco said, "Now I feel free. I can go out of the house without fear and certain that I'm not stepping on anybody's toes."

Pempengco also apologised to fans upset by the news and held back tears as she added, "To those who can accept me, thank you very much. We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight... I am proud of who I am. I love myself, that is why I am doing this. To my fans who I know are disappointed - I know some of you will turn your back on me too - sorry. You know I am sincere. From the bottom of my heart, sorry."

Filipino star Lea Salonga took to her Twitter.com page to praise Pempengco for going public with her sexuality, writing, "Dear Charice have you any idea how many young people you inspired today? More power, blessings and love to you!"

1106/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Empty Same article on Rappler.com June 3rd 2013, 6:23 am

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.newnownext.com/charice-lesbian-coming-out-glee-philippine-tv/06/2013/

“Glee” Star Charice Comes Out As Lesbian In New Interview: WATCH

June 2, 2013 ● by Chris Spargo

Charice, the Filipina singer who was the best thing ever when she appeared on Glee two seasons ago, has just come out as a lesbian on Philippine TV.

In the video, which you can watch above, Charice tells Boy Abunda on “The Buzz” that she is indeed a lesbian. She then apologized to her family and fans who may be disappointed by her news, while thanking those who have supported her.

For those who have never heard of Charice, she is pretty much the Britney Spears of Asia, so this is huge, huge news.

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2013-06-02/charice-out-of-the-closet/

June 2nd, 2013 | 8:45 am

First Dibs: Did Filipino Pop Star (And Former Glee Star) Charice Come Out Of The Closet?

by Meghan O'Keefe (@megsokay)

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Firstdibstuner602

Former Glee star (and Oprah‘s goddaughter), Charice, has come out as a lesbian. The internationally famous pop star admitted it on Philippine television.

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/06/charice-pempengco-admits-im-a-lesbian/

Charice Pempengco Admits: I'm a Lesbian

by Hilton Hater at June 3, 2013 6:27 am.
Updated at June 3, 2013 6:27 am.

Charice Pempengco - a Filipino singer who was discovered by Oprah off YouTube and who has guest-starred on Glee and judged the Philippine version of The X Factor - confirmed a rumor yesterday:

She's gay.

The 21-year old said she's now estranged from her family and then actually apologized to some fans after making the announcement (below), but she then added:

"To those who can accept me, thank you very much. We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight.”

Let's just hope there are a lot more folks in the latter category than in the former.

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/celebs/charice-pempengco-is-gay-1

Charice Pempengco is gay

Updated: June 3, 2013 11:25 AM | By www.wenn.com

The star, who shot to international fame with appearances on Glee and Oprah Winfrey's talk show, confirmed she is a lesbian in a TV interview with The Buzz, which aired in her native Philippines over the weekend (02Jun13).

Rumors about her sexual orientation have been swirling ever since the 21 year old debuted an edgier look and was photographed holding hands with another woman.

After her big reveal, Pempengco said, "Now I feel free. I can go out of the house without fear and certain that I'm not stepping on anybody's toes."

Pempengco also apologized to fans upset by the news and held back tears as she added, "To those who can accept me, thank you very much. We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight... I am proud of who I am. I love myself, that is why I am doing this. To my fans who I know are disappointed - I know some of you will turn your back on me too - sorry. You know I am sincere. From the bottom of my heart, sorry."

Filipino star Lea Salonga took to her Twitter.com page to praise Pempengco for going public with her sexuality, writing, "Dear Charice have you any idea how many young people you inspired today? More power, blessings and love to you!"

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://ryanseacrest.com/2013/06/03/glee-actress-charice-comes-out-yes-i-am-a-lesbian/

‘Glee’ Actress Charice Comes Out: ‘Yes, I Am a Lesbian’

June 3, 2013 10:10 am

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice-900-600

After months of speculation, Charice has finally put an end to the chatter about her sexual orientation.
During an interview with a Filipino show on Saturday, the singer who played Sunshine Corazon on Glee revealed, “Opo, tomboy po ako,” which is Filipino for “Yes, I am a lesbian.”

Immediately after the revelation, Charice felt such relief.

Miley Cyrus: ‘We Can’t Stop’ Is ‘Where I’m at in My Life Right Now’

“Now I feel free,” she explained during the tearful interview. “I can go out of the house without fear and certain that I’m not stepping on anybody’s toe.”
Sadly, her family doesn’t feel the same way. Charice also added that she is currently estranged from her mother Raquel Pempengco and grandmother.

Still, Charice dedicated two songs to them, as well as her brother Carl.

Mashup Monday: One Direction and Little Mix, ‘Rock My DNA’

Although her family has yet to accept her, she says her fans have been supportive.

“But to those who can accept me, thank you very much,” Charice said. “We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight.”

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.eonline.com/news/425447/glee-star-charice-i-m-a-lesbian

NEWS/ Glee Star Charice: I'm a Lesbian

by Josh Grossberg Mon., Jun. 3, 2013 7:37 AM PDT

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 300.charice.lc.110111

Charice has come out.

Charice Pempengco, the Filipino pop star who plays Sunshine Corazon on Fox's Glee, revealed she is gay during a tear-filled interview with her home country's ABS-CBN program The Buzz.

"Yes, I am a tomboy," she acknowledged, using a common Filipino colloquial term for lesbian. "I don't know what's the problem with that. Because for me, there isn't a problem with that."

Per the Philippine Star, Charice also said that her mother and grandmother were having a hard time with her admission, but she that she hoped they might eventually come around.

The singer, who shot to fame Stateside after her appearances on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Oprah, stoked speculation about her sexuality after she was spotted out wearing men's attire and holding hands with another girl.

Charice, who turned 21 last month, also apologized to fans who might not be accepting of her new identity.

"Now, I'd like to ask for forgiveness to those who aren't able to understand," the crooner said.
Sporting a new short hairdo, Charice posted a video online on Saturday thanking fans for supporting her
"I just wanna say thank you personally to all my fans, to all the people who are still supporting me, who are still there for me, and honestly I am very, very happy," she said.

PHOTOS: A brief history of gays on TV

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/charice-pempengco-confirms-shes-a-lesbian-201336

Charice Pempengco Confirms She's a Lesbian

CELEBRITY NEWS JUNE 3, 2013 AT 11:15AM BY ALLISON TAKEDA

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 1370268634_charice-467
Charice confirmed rumors that she is a lesbian during a June 2 interview with The Buzz.
Credit: Angela Weiss/Getty Images

Charice Pempengco has nothing to hide. After months of chatter about her sexuality, the former Glee singer proudly and publicly confirmed that she is, in fact, a lesbian. The revelation came during an interview on Sunday, June 2, with Boy Abunda, host of the Filipino showbiz show The Buzz.

Asked by Abunda whether the rumors about her sexual orientation are true, Charice took her time answering. Then, smiling, she said simply, "Opo, tomboy po ako," which means "Yes, I am a lesbian."

Relieved but emotional -- at one point during the interview, she broke down in tears -- the 21-year-old international star added, "Now I feel free. I can go out of the house without fear and be certain that I'm not stepping on anybody's toes."

Speculation about the musical phenom, once dubbed "the most talented girl in the world" by Oprah Winfrey, began a few months ago, after she debuted a dramatic new image. When she was discovered on the South Korean talent show Star King in 2007, she had long hair and wore makeup and feminine frocks.

Later that year, Charice made her American debut on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, performing "I Will Always Love You" and "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going," before releasing her debut album in the Philippines in 2008. She then had a streak of high-profile performances, culminating in a recurring role on the second season of Glee.

These days, though, she's nearly unrecognizable from that girly image. After chopping her once-long, curly hair into a short, boyish cut, the singer traded in her dresses and heels for more androgynous clothing.

Until Sunday, however, she had been mum on the lesbian rumors. Addressing them during her interview on The Buzz, she admitted she thought that some of her fans might not support her once she came out. "But to those who can accept me, thank you very much," she said. "We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight..."

In a separate video message aired on another Filipino show, she added: "I just want to say thank you, personally, to all my fans, to all the people who are still supporting me, who are still there for me. Honestly, I'm very, very happy. I can't explain how happy I am right now hearing all the positive things."

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://thediplomat.com/asia-life/2013/06/glee-star-charice-pempengco-comes-out/

Glee Star Charice Pempengco Comes Out

By Jonathan DeHart

June 4, 2013

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian 588px-Charice_3-400x407

Filipino singer and actress Charice Pempengco, who played exchange student Sunshine Corazon in the hit series Glee, has told talk show host Boy Abunda on Filipino television station The Buzz that she is a lesbian.

“Yes, I am a lesbian,” she said in her native Tagalog, in response to the direct question. "Now, I feel free. I can go out of the house without fear and be certain that I'm not stepping on anybody's toes."

Through tears, she added, "To those who can accept me, thank you very much… We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight.” A video of the interview can be seen here.

The announcement came after speculation surrounding the 21-year-old star’s sexual orientation swirled in the local press in recent weeks, following her decision to shed her teen starlet look, cutting her once long locks in favor of short, dyed hair.

Charice was originally discovered on YouTube by Ellen DeGeneres who asked her to perform on her show in 2007. Since then, she has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and has sung alongside Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli.

Following her decision to come out, she thanked her supportive fans in a video that shows her relief. “Honestly, I’m very, very happy,” she said. “I can’t explain how happy I am right now hearing all these positive things.”

"Dear @OfficialCharice have you any idea how many young people you inspired today? More power, blessings and love to you!" tweeted Leah Salonga (@MsLeaSalonga), a Tony award-winning Filipina actress and singer.

“So Charice is out of the closet. Did that take her talent away? Did it change her voice? NO. Same talented person, just happier,” tweeted local celebrity Bubbles Paraiso (@bubblesparaiso).

Similar support came from overseas. “So proud of you!” tweeted American celebrity blogger Perez Hilton. “You are opening doors and hearts and minds with your bravery and honesty! Leading by example! BIG HUG!”

While the outpouring of support for Charice has been significant, it has not been universal in the predominantly Catholic Philippines, where conservative views on LGBT issues often color public discourse.

No less than Manny Pacquaiao, Filipino boxing legend-cum-politician and entrepreneur extraordinaire, has made comments that reflect the attitude of the conservative strain in Filipino society.

"God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other,” he said in May 2012. “It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old.”

In the case of Charice, perhaps most notably of all, she told Abunda on The Buzz that she was estranged from her mother. For those who may not understand her, she is empathetic.

"I have deep gratitude for the Filipinos because they are the ones who know who I really am,” she told Abunda on The Buzz. “I don't know what the problem is because for me, there is no problem with that. So now I ask for forgiveness from those who don't understand. And those who cannot accept. I apologize: I understand you."

She added: "I just want to say to all of you that I feel very light – that I can leave the house knowing I am not hiding anything. I love myself, that's why I'm able to do this.”

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2013/06/charice-pempengco-confirms-she-lesbian-new-interview-video

Charice Pempengco confirms she is a lesbian in new interview (Video)

By Sarah Burbank-Douglas , 6/3/2013

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Screenshot%20from%202013-06-03%2014%3A26%3A20

Glee singer Charice Pempengco confirmed that she is a lesbian in a new interview with the Filipino showbiz show The Buzz.

According to Us Weekly, Charice sat down with Boy Abunda who asked if the rumors surrounding her sexual orientation were actually true. After pausing a moment Charice proudly stated, “Opo, tomboy po ako," which translates to, "Yes, I am a lesbian."

“Now I feel free. I can go out of the house without fear and be certain that I'm not stepping on anybody's toes,” she explained.

According to E! News, Charice admitted that the news did not come easy for her mother and grandmother.

Us Weekly notes that the speculation surrounding her sexuality first surfaced after she debuted a drastically new look, cutting off her long locks to a shorter 'boyish' style, wearing no makeup and ditching dresses and heals.

“But to those who can accept me, thank you very much," she said to her fans who have stayed by her side. "We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight..."

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57587424/charice-pempengco-former-glee-actress-comes-out/

CBS NEWS/ June 3, 2013, 4:33 PM

Charice Pempengco, former "Glee" actress, comes out

Charice Pempengco, the Filipino singer who played Sunshine Corazon on "Glee," has revealed that she is a lesbian.

When asked during an interview with Filipino talk show host Boy Abunda on "The Buzz" if she is a lesbian, she responded in her native language, Tagalog, "Yes, I am," according to People.

"I have deep gratitude for the Filipinos because they are the ones who know who I really am," she continued. "I don't know what the problem is because for me, there is no problem with that. So now I ask for forgiveness from those who don't understand. And those who cannot accept. I apologize, I understand you."

"To those who could accept, and who could accept me, thank you very, very much," she added. "I just want to say to all of you that I feel very light -- that I can leave the house knowing I am not hiding anything. ... I love myself, that's why I'm able to do this."

The 21-year-old shot to fame in the U.S. after appearances on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "The Oprah Winfrey Show." She has performed with Celine Dion, Andrea Bochelli and others. Last year, she served as a judge on "The X Factor Philippines."

She appeared on "Glee" during the show's second season, playing a foreign exchange student from the Philippines.

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/charice-lesbian-tearful-tv-interview-article-1.1361660

Charice, former 'Glee' star, comes out as lesbian in tearful TV interview

21-year-old international pop star apologizes to the fans who may be offended and reveals her family has accepted her sexual orientation

BY ETHAN SACKS / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

MONDAY, JUNE 3, 2013, 11:54 AM

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice4f-2-web
ABSCBNONLINE VIA YOUTUBE

Charice reveals that, ‘Yes, I am a lesbian,’ on the TV show, ‘The Buzz.’

Former “Glee” star Charice Pempengco officially came out Sunday in an emotional television interview in her native Philippines.

When asked pointedly about her sexuality on he country’s popular “The Buzz,” the 21-year-old pop star responded, “Opo, tomboy po ako” — which translates from Filipino as, “Yes, I’m a lesbian.”

Charice broke down in tears after the admission, adding that she was now estranged from her mother and brother. (Her father died in a 2011, stabbed in the chest with an icepick in a grocery store near Manila.)

She also apologizing to any fans that were offended by her sexual orientation.

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice4f-1-web
Charice guest-stars as exchange student Sunshine Corazon the 2010 season premiere episode of ‘Glee.’

Though the interview was visibly painful for Charice — who has been dogged by rumors ever since she ditched her trademark flowing locks for a more adrogenous, short hairstyle — she added that “Now I feel free.”

Charice is famous on this side of the Pacific for performed on several episodes of “Glee” as a character named Sunshine Corazon from 2010 to 2011, but is a reality television superstar and viral video sensation in Asia.

“To those who can accept me, thank you very much,” Charice said at the end of the interview, according to a translation on Hollywood Life.com. “We are all equal, whether you are gay or straight.”

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://hellogiggles.com/glees-charice-pempengco-out-proud-and-loving-herself

6/04/2013 02:06 PM

QUEEN OF THE DAY

Glee's Charice Pempengco: Out, Proud and Loving Herself

Parry Ernsberger

06/03/2013 - Dawn.com - Philippine pop star Charice says she's a lesbian Charice-Pempengco-300-187x250

Ellen DeGeneres flew her to the US for the first time from her native Philippines after watching her sing on YouTube. Oprah called her “the most talented girl in the world.” Andrea Bocelli personally invited her to duet with him for his birthday concert in Italy. She sang “Because You Loved Me” alongside Celine Dion at Madison Square Garden.

And then Glee came a-calling. Charice Pempengco, the 21-year-old pint-sized powerhouse also known as Sunshine Corazon, took an assbackwards route to McKinley High. By the time her voice echoed inside those hallowed halls, Pempengco had already put out two albums and established enough credit to sign a lease in New York without a guarantor. (Ba-dum-CH!) But seriously. She was well-established well before she gave Rachel Berry a run for her money in the show’s second season.

Lately, she’s been biding her time by doing things like recording a song written by Bruno Mars, singing the theme song for Final Fantasy XIII-2, judging local talent on The X Factor Philippines and generally living her dream.

Especially now that she’s come out of the closet. On Sunday, Charice shared the news on a Filipino talk show in her native language.

“To those who could accept, and who could accept me, thank you very, very much,” she said. “I just want to say to all of you that I feel very light – that I can leave the house knowing I am not hiding anything … I love myself, that’s why I’m able to do this.”

We support you, Charice! And so do her fans — Pempengco followed up her announcement with a separate video message for everyone who’s helped her rest easy about her big reveal:

“I just want to say thank you, personally, to all my fans, to all the people who are still supporting me, who are still there for me. Honestly,” she said, “I’m very, very happy. I can’t explain how happy I am right now hearing all the positive things.”

Featured image via People.com

benjandy

benjandy
CHAnnoisseur
CHAnnoisseur

http://www.webpronews.com/charice-pempengco-glee-actress-comes-out-2013-06

Charice Pempengco, “Glee” Actress, Comes Out

By Amanda Crum · June 3, 2013

Coming out is a big, big deal for anyone in the LGBT community, but when you’re in the public eye, it can be made a thousand times more difficult. Now, following in the footsteps of fellow television actors Jim Parsons and Neil Patrick Harris, “Glee” actress Charice Pempengco has spoken out about her sexuality.

Making the decision to come out even more daunting was the fact that she did it on a popular Filipino talk show in her native language.

“I have deep gratitude for the Filipinos because they are the ones who know who I really am. … I don’t know what the problem is because for me, there is no problem with that. So now I ask for forgiveness from those who don’t understand. And those who cannot accept. I apologize: I understand you,” she said. “To those who could accept, and who could accept me, thank you very, very much. I just want to say to all of you that I feel very light – that I can leave the house knowing I am not hiding anything.”

The 21-year old broke down in tears at one point, saying, “Now I feel free. I can go out of the house without fear and be certain that I’m not stepping on anybody’s toes.”

The news may not come as a surprise to those who have watched her rise to fame; after being discovered on the South Korean show “Star King” in 2007, she changed her look dramatically from dresses and makeup to a short hairstyle and laid-back clothing, prompting rumors that she was gay.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum